But that's okay, because just about anything would have been overshadowed today by the departure of three long-serving members of the Digital Spy team: deputy editor Dan Saney, music editor Nick Levine, and lastly Neil Wilkes - editor and co-founder of the site. To mark this end of an era, I asked the office to share some of their fondest memories of Neil.
- Chris: "Being in the National TV Awards press room and prepping and publishing a story the second David Tennant said he was leaving Doctor Who. Times like that are really exciting."
- Cat: "I'm just grateful Dan and Neil gave me the Big Brother job in the first place! And they have been wonderful in giving me advice and opportunities since then."
- Adam: "The immediate reaction to my immediate reaction of him dressed as Neil Down."
- Morgan: "My fondest Neil memories have to be the times he made fun of my accent. As you might imagine, I have a lot of fond Neil memories."
- Simon: "An interview with someone from The Vampire Diaries where Neil kept requesting the guy to bite him. And 'Mr Simon' - for some reason he always refers to me as this, and I still have no idea why!"
- Mayer: "Neil just being the most approachable, friendly boss I've ever had in the world of work."
- Alex: "I'm glad to see the back of the hairy b*stard. The TV section will flourish without him and Betty f**king White... But thanks for the advice, amazing opportunities and faith you've shown in me. I wouldn't have worked my arse anywhere near as hard for anyone else. And that's not a euphemism."
- Me: "Being told I was Neil's Secret Santa and trying to find a present for him. I ended up overspending by a few quid (oops), but he seemed happy with the Sonic Screwdriver I got him in the end!"
As a bonus, some offered to reminisce about Dan and Nick as well.
- Chris: "Dan - The endless evenings of WALLET GIRL that left me almost sicking up from laughter. Nick - The stream of nudey men that you have sent to my inbox for nearly three years. And a day in Brum ogling rugby boys and doing a Hustle set visit."
- Cat: "Dan - He has made sure that I will never, ever say that I am a fan of hip-hop. Nick - I will always be thankful that he let me do the top ten charts when I was still a freelancer and sent me a lovely muffin!"
- Mayer: "Dan - Letting me and my fiancée crash on his sofa-bed after one particularly long night on the town! Nick - Giving me a chance to write music reviews that someone would actually read... and more importantly helping me with my writing to the point where people might actually want to read them!"
- Me: "Dan - I enjoyed having someone else to discuss all things Super Street Fighter IV with, and it is my hope that one day we'll have the Guile vs. Chun-Li fight as destiny foretold. Nick - When Julianne Moore finally wins an Oscar, you'll be the first person I think of."
I'm sure all three will be tremendously successful in whatever they choose to do next! Now to head off to the leaving do and have a few drinks.