Kapoor was supposed to embark on his debut global tour last year with Bollywood stars Katrina Kaif, Sonam Kapoor and Deepika Padukone, but the tour was delayed as AR Rahman's songs for the movie Rockstar were not ready at the time.
A source told NDTV: "AR Rahman's songs weren't ready, but that's just one of the reasons the world tour didn't happen. There were several other factors that lead to the cancellation, including the possibility of discord between Padukone and Katrina who were to accompany him on the tour.
"Ranbir wanted his debut live concerts to be absolutely stress-free and perfect in every way. He is now ready to hit the road in August."
Shahid Kapoor will also be touring with Kapoor, despite reports that he had turned down the offer last year.
The source said: "Shahid received a call from the Moranis (the concert organisers) on Monday. He is now in the process of working out the dates. Some of his dates in August are booked for a film, but it should be okay."