Take a look at what games publishers and developers have been trying to fool us with so far today:
- Namco Bandai has announced it has purchased and restored a jet fighter to promote Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. "Namco Bandai UK are tired of just normal, boring Marketing and standard PR stunts," said marketing director Lee Kirton. The MiG-21BIS fighter will be used for marketing promotions and delivering preview code to members of the games press.
- Splosion Man developer Twisted Pixel has teamed with US store Home Depot to create a marionette controller for upcoming Kinect title The Gunstringer. "This groundbreaking partnership with Home Depot truly ushers in a new era of controller-free controller gaming," said CEO Mike Wilford. It's available for purchase from today for $2.17.
- PopCap Games is to launch a microwave that can play games, and is set for release by Christmas 2011. "Our fans tell us they love to pass the time playing a few levels of their favourite games anywhere and everywhere, and everyone loves a good meal, so we thought, 'why not combine the two?'" said CCO Jason Kapalka. The firm added that a toilet game console is in the works called 'Play-n-Poop'.
- The latest weapon announced for open-world zombie survival game Dead Island is an enemy-shrinking handgun, named the AFG-Shrinker, which comes complete with an unnatural purple glow. AGF - a nod towards Doom's BFG-9000 perhaps? You can read our preview of Dead Island here.
- Kama Sutra: Connected has been unveiled by Lunch PR for all leading motion-control formats, with remote, wand or hands-free modes available. Online multiplayer and handheld 3D devices are also being considered. A hands-on preview for members of the press is currently scheduled for E3 in June.
- Dragon Rally has been announced for multiple platforms, including Xbox 360, PS3, 3DS and Commodore 64. "This game is shaping up to be a violent, rip-roaring and violent assault on my senses," said Videogamer in a recent preview. "Of all the racing games I've ever played, this is one of them." A trailer is also available on the Xbox Live dashboard. Seriously, take a look.
- Blizzard Entertainment has announced its return to console development with a Kinect version of Starcraft for Xbox 360. Watch the announcement trailer below:
- Sega has revealed Super Monkey Cube, a reboot of its successful puzzle series. "A realtime turn-based RPG with action elements, Super Monkey Cube is nothing like you've ever seen or played before!" read a statement. With a new monkey named Poly, gameplay now takes place on a grid-based world with long cutscenes, drawn-out story arcs and confusing menu systems.
- Following the omission of Captain Qwark's name in the title of Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, Sony has announced a spinoff title named Copernicus Qwark's Awesomely Epic 3D Adventure Through Time and Space. Not to be outdone, the title will feature stereoscopic 3D support, multiplayer for up to three-and-a-half players, and compatibility with Sony's Smell-o-Vision peripheral. We knew it was in the works!
We'll be updating the listing throughout the day as more jokes arise - be sure to add your favourites below!
What are some of the best April Fool news stories that you have found so far? Add a comment to the space below!