As with the UK's top sellers of last year, the first-person shooter saw the most sales across all formats, according to CVG.
It was followed by dance sequel Just Dance 3 and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
Madden NFL 12 and 2010's Call of Duty instalment Black Ops were also some of the year's best sellers.
Modern Warfare 3 was named the biggest entertainment launch of all time, but failed to beat Adele's 21 as the UK's top-selling piece of entertainment.
> Crysis 2, Gears of War 3 top 2011 most pirated games list
View the top ten selling games in the US, according to the NPD group:
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
- Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3)
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)
- Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC) - Electronic Arts
- Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC)
- Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)
- Gears of War 3 (360)
- Just Dance 2 (Wii)
- Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC)
View the Content Season trailer for Modern Warfare 3 below: