It is followed by new releases Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Dragon's Dogma and DiRT Showdown in second, third and fourth.
The spate of new titles at the top sees the likes of FIFA Street and Sniper Elite V2 drop to six and seven, while FIFA 12 falls to nine.
The top ten in full:
1. (1) Max Payne 3 (Rockstar)
2. (-) Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Ubisoft)
3. (-) Dragon's Dogma (Capcom)
4. (-) DiRT Showdown (Codemasters)
5. (6) Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision)
6. (2) FIFA Street (Electronic Arts)
7. (3) Sniper Elite V2 (505 Games)
8. (5) Prototype 2 (Activision)
9. (4) FIFA 12 (Electronic Arts)
10. (9) Battlefield 3 (Electronic Arts)
Leisure software charts compiled by Chart Track, (C) 2012 UKIE Ltd.
Watch a trailer for Max Payne 3 below: