It is followed by Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, which climbs to second, and LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, which drops to third.
Max Payne 3 is the only game to penetrate this week's top ten, climbing four places to seven, below Batman: Arkham City, which enjoys a strong week of sales following the release of Christopher Nolan's latest movie sequel.
The top ten in full:
1. (1) London 2012: The Game (Sega)
2. (4) Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Ubisoft)
3. (2) LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Warner Bros Interactive)
4. (3) The Amazing Spider-Man (Activision)
5. (5) Modern Warfare 3 (Activision)
6. (10) Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros Interactive)
7. (11) Max Payne 3 (Rockstar)
8. (6) Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks)
9. (7) Spec Ops: The Line (2K Games)
10. (8) FIFA 12 (Electronic Arts)
Leisure software charts compiled by Chart Track, (C) 2012 UKIE Ltd.
Watch a trailer for London 2012: The Official Video Game below: