EA released a statement apologising for the late release, blaming a "knock-on issue" in the patch.
"We're working with our partners to establish a new schedule for the update and we will provide information as soon as it becomes available," added the firm.
Set to release over the weekend, the update is to fix a number of bugs, including freezing during Career Mode, Serie A's Napoli not having the correct kits and crests, and improved matchmaking and connectivity when going online.
EA's community team added that it would continue listening to fan feedback and that further updates would arrive later this month.
Copyright: PA Images Scott HeppellLaunching in September, FIFA 13 has become the biggest sports release ever, and the best-selling launch of 2012 so far.
This year's FIFA introduces new first-touch techniques, attacking AI and dribbling skills.
It also features connectivity between smartphones, tablets and consoles, as well as Kinect functionality and Move support.
> Digital Spy's 'FIFA 13' review: 'Another trophy-winning instalment from EA'
Read the notes for FIFA 13's first title update in full:
• Connection stability in Online Seasons when finding an opponent in the Arena, and at kick-off.
• Career Mode freeze while starting a new career with free agents.
• Career Mode hangs when using Game Face.
• Stability in Career Mode when players retire or are being bought back from loan.
• Users will no longer be able to lower difficulty settings in a FUT Seasons match.
• Freeze in FUT Online Tournament HUB on PS3.
• Napoli of Serie A will now have fully authentic kits and crests in FIFA and FIFA Ultimate Team.
• Legacy defending and passing assistance options removed in Pro Clubs.
• Freeze in Pro Clubs Results screen.
• Matchmaking settings in Pro Clubs (with "ANY" and "Match Keeper") will provide the desired results.
• Changes made in National Squad not properly reflected in Manager Mode screen.
• (PC Only) Freeze while retrieving Hospitality Settings.
Maintenance notes for October 12:
• Work on the Auction House in FIFA Ultimate Team.
• Changes to error messaging in FIFA Ultimate Team Web and the EA SPORTS Football Club app.
• Leaderboards not displaying the correct gamertag
Watch a trailer for FIFA 13 below: