The High Court heard this morning that the Alan Partridge star and ex-England player have reached deals with News Group Newspapers, the publisher of the now defunct paper. In total, 15 claims have been settled today involving 19 people.
These include former Labour spin doctor Alastair Campbell, Simon Hughes MP and football agent Phil Hughes, along with singer Pete Doherty, jockey Kieran Fallon, football agent Sky Andrew, former MP George Galloway and Sheila Henry, the mother of 7/7 victim Christian Small.
Coogan, who was present in court, and Campbell were awarded "substantial damages" plus costs, while Gascoigne was given £68,000.
Liberal Democrat MP Simon Hughes was awarded £45,000 plus costs, while Phil Hughes has received substantial damages plus costs.
Sky Andrew, who represents players such as Sol Campbell, received £75,000, and Galloway received £25,000.
However, Hugh Tomlinson QC told the judge that his client, singer Charlotte Church, had not reached an agreement with NGN.
Simon Hughes, who was also present in court, said in a statement: "The evidence in my case clearly demonstrates that the practice of hacking was widespread and went much further up the chain than Clive Goodman and Glenn Mulcaire. It was criminal behaviour on an industrial scale."
He added: "Anyone involved in criminal activity at the News of the World must be brought to justice, and all those who allowed a large company to behave in this way must be held to account."
Discussing his settlement deal, Campbell said: "This is not, and never has been, about the money."
In a post on his blog, Campbell described this as a "satisfactory outcome" but noted that there were continued searches of documents at News Group Newspapers to "ascertain the extent of any further wrongdoing". This, he said, could result in him being awarded "further damages" in the future.
Campbell also said that the money would be donated to several organisations, including the Labour Party and Mind, "so that at least some small good for the causes I believe in can come out of the criminality and cultural depravity of others".
The cases were among a series of claims that were due to go to pre-trial on Monday, in a process that was intended to provide a benchmark for the level of compensation to be paid in any future cases.
But following last-minute negotiations, News Group Newspapers, a subsidiary of Rupert Murdoch's News International, managed to settle the cases before they could go to trial.
Last month, News Group Newspapers paid out at least £640,000 in settlements with 37 celebrities, including Ashley Cole and Jude Law.
News International also extended its "sincerest apologies" at the time for the distress and damage caused by the phone hacking. But the judge noted that he had seen evidence which raised "compelling questions" over whether News Group Newspapers "concealed, told lies, actively tried to get off scot free".
Yesterday, the Metropolitan Police accepted that they had acted unlawfully by failing to warn people that they had been the victims of possible phone hacking by the News of the World, after a damning judicial review of their handling of the affair.