Ex-Sky News head Pollard's investigation into the matter has been published today (December 19). The report criticised ex-Newsnight editor Peter Rippon for his decision to drop the programme.
> Read the Pollard Review in full
Pollard said: "The decision to drop the original investigation was flawed and the way it was taken was wrong but I believe it was done in good faith.
"It was not done to protect the Savile tribute programmes or for any improper reason. Mr Rippon has told us that the decision to drop the Savile story was his, and his alone. I accept the final decision was his."
He added: "Mr Rippon's decision to drop the Savile story was seriously flawed: he made a bad mistake in not examining the evidence properly. He was not only Newsnight's editor, he was the Executive Producer of the Savile investigation too, in other words he had assumed the hands-on role of supervising the piece before it went to air.
"I cannot understand why Mr Rippon did not give himself the chance of viewing the central interview and reading notes of other interviews."
> McAlpine 'Newsnight' report damns "serious failure of BBC journalism"
Acting director-general of the BBC Tim Davie has sent a message to staff confirming that Rippon will be replaced as editor of Newsnight and move to a new job.
BBC Radio 5 Live controller Adrian Van Klaveren will also move to a new role, while BBC News deputy editor Stephen Mitchell has resigned.
Davie said of Mitchell: "He has been an outstanding and loyal servant of BBC News over the past 38 years and is widely and rightly admired for his editorial judgement and personal integrity.
"He will retire from the BBC at a date to be agreed next year, in the course of which he will hand over his responsibilities as head of news programmes."
The Pollard report found that Mitchell had been wrong in removing the planned Newsnight episode from a list of sensitive broadcasts.
Pollard also found that neither then-BBC director general George Entwistle nor BBC One controller Danny Cohen properly investigated the issues surrounding tributes to Savile, who had died last October at the age of 84.
Additionally Pollard said: "When the full force of the affair broke in October 2012, the BBC's management system proved completely incapable of dealing with it.
"This Report shows that the level of chaos and confusion was even greater than was apparent at the time."
Rippon's controversial blog about why the Savile programme was dropped was found to have been published without being appropriately overseen. The BBC was later forced to correct the post and apologise for its inaccuracies.
Helen Boaden, the BBC News director who stepped aside during the Pollard inquiry, was found to have failed to show leadership at certain times, but she did not put pressure on Rippon to drop the Savile Newsnight.
Davie's email to BBC staff confirmed that Boaden will return to her position tomorrow.
The controversy surrounding Savile's abuse, the axing of last year's show, and the later flawed Newsnight edition which wrongly implied that Lord McAlpine had been involved in the abuse of minors led to the resignation of director general Entwistle.