Reviews were mixed, but many saluted her bravery in killing off the beloved Mark Darcy and replacing him in Bridget's affections with a new toyboy, Roxster.
That there will be a third Bridget Jones movie seems inevitable, but who will play Roxby McDuff?
The novel naturally gives an idealised, Jonesy-eyed view of the young man - but in a world where Colin Firth plays Mark Darcy, it's only right that Digital Spy takes Bridget's word for it when picking out the perfect star.
What does he look like?
- "Roxster was indeed gorgeous, was even more handsome than his photo, but, crucially, merry-looking. He looks as if he was going to burst out laughing all the time."
- He is 29... "handsome"... with a "a slight gap between his front teeth" and "impressive, young physique"... "gorgeous in jeans and a dark sweater, eyes sparkling, grinning".
- Anything else? "Straight nose, cheekbones, brows. His eyes were hazel and twinkly. He was so... young. His skin was peachy, his teeth white, his hair thick and shiny, slightly too long to be fashionable, brushing his collar. And his lips had that fine white line outlining them that only young people have."
- He's daft: "Roxster was so funny, combing my hair, pretending to find and eat the nits, while intermittently kissing the back of my neck."
- He goes snowboarding
- He works for an eco-charity
- He likes a full English breakfast
- He drinks vodka and Red Bull... and beer
- He's not averse to a bit of smut: "I'm just trying to widen my circle," says Bridget. "I can certainly help you with that," he deadpans in return
- He's a hero who will "pull his T-shirt over his shoulders, revealing a ripped torso" to rescue a Chihuahua in a swimming pool.
- He struts: "He knew all the words to Supertramp, he was singing along, strutting like John Travolta, pointing in every direction and then, right on cue, just before the instrumental break, pointing at the stage as if conducting the band."
- He is the sort of man who says "I heart you"
About the right age (31), Bridget has form for liking the quintessentially posh English gentleman, and we can definitely imagine Eddie waxing up his snowboard as well.
A little on the young side at just 23, but we think he could just about get away with playing a few years older. Showed off his body to good effect in Kick Ass 2.
He's taken the first step away from being typecast by joining the American Psycho musical as Patrick Bateman, but what better way to blow away all memories of the TARDIS than getting in bed with Bridget?
Another young un (21), but again a little make-up and a few pounds will sort that out. He played Boy George in Worried About the Boy, so he could make this the second chapter in an ongoing "... About the Boy" series. And his skin is most definitely peachy, his teeth definitely white, and his hair so thick and shiny
"Gorgeous in jeans and a dark sweater, eyes sparkling." I don't think we need to add anything here?
He'll be winning hearts all over the world in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire as Finnick, and if he can survive the machinations of President Snow, then hooking up with Jonesey should be a doddle.
Who would you like to see play Roxster in the third Bridget Jones movie? Share your thoughts in the comments box below.