'Serenity' fails to topple 'Flightplan'
The Jodie Foster thriller took $15m in its second weekend, fending off competition from Serenity, Joss Whedon's feature-length reworking of TV show Firefly.
Meanwhile, last week's number two, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride, slipped to third place.
The top ten in full:
1. (1) Flightplan - $15m
2. (-) Serenity - $10.1m
3. (2) Tim Burton's Corpse Bride - $9.8m
4. (-) A History of Violence - $8.2m
5. (-) Into The Blue - $7.0m
6. (3) Just Like Heaven - $9.8m
7. (5) The Exorcism of Emily Rose - $7.5m
8. (4) Roll Bounce - $4.0m
9. (-) The Greatest Game Ever Played - $3.7m
10. (7) The 40-Year-Old Virgin - $3.1m