Earlier this year, Sony Pictures announced that it was to relaunch the superhero series without Mary Jane Watson actress Dunst, lead actor Tobey Maguire and director Sam Raimi.
Dunst told Screen Junkies that she was proud of her time on the films and that she does not begrudge handing the franchise over to Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone.
"I felt like what we had during those films was so special, like me and Tobey and Sam," she said. "It was such a unique experience and also because it was these independent minds and actors and you're making this huge film.
"It's great that all these kids are such huge fans and to be a part of a movie like that is very special, especially a good franchise. So to end on Spider-Man 3 I think is the perfect way to leave it.
"I like Andrew Garfield so much as an actor - and Emma Stone - so I think they'll be great in the new version."
Dunst went on to speculate why Sony decided to reboot the series with a new cast, commenting: "I feel like it was time, you know. Sometimes they always want to push things for money reasons or whatever and it just didn't come together the way they probably had wanted or envisioned."
When asked if she would be watching the new instalment, Dunst replied: "Of course I'm going to see the movie! Of course."
The currently untitled Spider-Man reboot, directed by Marc Webb, is due to be released on July 3, 2012.