The film, which features the voice acting of Russell Brand, opened to an impressive $38.1 million, potentially making it the highest launch weekend of 2011 so far.
Moon director Duncan Jones's latest offering Source Code, starring Jake Gyllenhaal, entered in second place with $15 million, followed by the supernatural horror Insidious with $13.5 million.
Last week's box-office topper Diary Of A Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules falls to fourth place, taking $10.2 million in its second weekend, while the Bradley Cooper thriller Limitless rounds out the top five with $9.4 million.
Next weekend sees the release of Russell Brand's second film of 2011, a remake of the 1981 film Arthur, starring the comedian opposite Helen Mirren and Jennifer Garner.
This week's US box office top ten in full:
1. (-) Hop - $38,100,000
2. (-) Source Code - $15,000,000
3. (-) Insidious - $13,500,000
4. (1) Diary Of A Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick's Revenge - $10,200,000
5. (3) Limitless - $9,400,000
6. (4) The Lincoln Lawyer - $7,050,000
7. (2) Sucker Punch - $6,085,000
8. (5) Rango - $7,560,000
9. (7) Paul - $4,335,000
10. (6) Battle: Los Angeles - $3,500,000
Watch the trailer for this week's box-office topper Hop below: