The success of David Zucker's spoof drove Ice Age: The Meltdown down to second place after a two-week spell at the top spot, the animated sequel taking $20m over the three-day period.
The Wild, the weekend's other new entry, debuted in fourth place with unspectacular earnings of $9.56m.
Meanwhile, Thank You for Smoking continued its rise, ascending from tenth to eighth place.
The top ten in full:
1. (-) Scary Movie 4 - $41m
2. (1) Ice Age: The Meltdown - $20m
3. (2) The Benchwarmers - $10m
4. (-) The Wild - $9.56m
5. (3) Take the Lead - $6.7m
6. (4) Inside Man - $6.3m
7. (5) Lucky Number Slevin - $4.6m
8. (10) Thank You for Smoking - $4.45m
9. (6) Failure to Launch - $2.6m
10. (8) V for Vendetta - $2.17m