Fire department spokesperson David Meikle said that two people were treated for burns after an "explosion" took place at Miramar, New Zealand's Stone Street Studio on Tuesday. The injured parties were taken to a nearby hospital for further treatment, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
Ceris Price, a unit spokesperson for The Hobbit, confirmed that the two workers were hospitalised, but claimed that Meikle's use of the term "explosion" was a "slight overstatement" because a fire did not spark the injuries.
She said that the incident occurred as the crew were drilling a statue, but added that workers were taken in for medical observation as a mere precaution since they had only suffered "mild burns".
"One of them had some burnt nostril hairs and, apparently if that's the case, there is always the risk of inhalation so they get checked out," she added.
The Hobbit director Peter Jackson previously filmed sections of his Lord of the Rings trilogy at Stone Street Studios.
Earlier this week, Hobbit star Martin Freeman accidentally revealed that Benedict Cumberbatch has joined the movie's cast.
> More Hobbit news