The Lost creator confessed that though he was feeling the pressure to start work on the follow-up, he refused to deliver a sub-par film.
"There was a lot of desire [on the studio side] to fast-track a new Star Trek and have it be shooting already," Abrams told the Los Angeles Times. "And in theory we could have done that. But what all of us [the creative team] were concerned about is the release date be the master we were serving."
He continued: "Nothing is more disheartening than something going in front of the camera before it's ready. The crew can feel it and the cast can feel it. It's just a heart-attack machine."
Abrams went on to reveal that he and his team are currently hard at work on the highly-anticipated sequel.
"What works, in the feature world and television, is something that has real staying power," he said. "We're working hard on that, making the kind of headway that frankly I wish we were able to make months ago. But you can't do everything."
Last week, it was announced that the new Star Trek film would miss its previously-scheduled release date of June 29, 2012.
Writer Damon Lindelof recently claimed that he too is feeling the pressure to pen a great sequel, describing the challenge as "immense".