The DC Comics adaptation, which stars Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively, took an estimated domestic total of over $3 million, knocking Rise of the Planet of the Apes down to second spot.
Australian movie Red Dog made $1,888,212, a week after it achieved the biggest opening weekend box office results for a home-grown film this year.
Other movies featured in the top ten this weekend include Glee Live: The 3D Concert Movie, Captain America: The First Avenger and new release Jane Eyre.
The box office top ten in full (figures in Australian dollars):
1. (-) Green Lantern - $3,042,282
2. (1) Rise of the Planet of the Apes - $3,009,705
3. (4) Red Dog - $1,888,212
4. (2) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - $1,290,573
5. (-) Glee Live: The 3D Concert Movie - $970,388
6. (3) Captain America: The First Avenger - $939,261
7. (-) Jane Eyre - $814,132
8. (5) Bad Teacher - $575,559
9. (-) Senna - $325,319
10. (6) Bridesmaids - $221,029
Watch the trailer for Green Lantern below: