The comedy film, which stars Kevin James as an animal keeper determined to win back his ex-girlfriend, took an estimated domestic total of almost $1.8 million, knocking last week's number one Horrible Bosses down to second spot.
Australian movie Red Dog sits in third place with box office takings of $1,250,138, a month after it achieved the biggest opening weekend box office results for a home-grown film this year.
In fourth spot is Emma Stone film The Help, followed by Ryan Reynolds in The Change-Up, which made $1,118,535 in ticket sales.
Other movies featured in the top ten this weekend include Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Final Destination 5 and The Smurfs.
The box office top ten in full (figures in Australian dollars):
1. (-) Zookeeper- $1,794,353
2. (1) Horrible Bosses - $1,476,729
3. (2) Red Dog - $1,250,138
4. (3) The Help - $1,192,854
5. (-) The Change-Up - $1,118,535
6. (4) Final Destination 5 - $588,598
7. (-) The Smurfs - $545,883
8. (5) Friends with Benefits - $439,268
9. (8) One Day - $382,999
10. (7) Rise of the Planet of the Apes - $314,154
Watch the Zookeeper trailer below: