Tom Cruise's espionage sequel pulls in more than £8 million to climb to the top of the box office ahead of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which earns £4.3 million after opening on December 26.
Ghost Protocol was boosted by takings from its early debut on IMAX screens on December 21. Paramount released the blockbuster wide on Boxing Day against Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara's Dragon Tattoo.
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is in third spot with £2.5 million, ahead of family movies Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked and Puss in Boots.
New release The Artist lands just outside the top ten at number 13. The critically-acclaimed homage to silent cinema grosses £48,000 from just one London screen, and is expected to climb up the chart as its release widens and Oscar buzz builds.
The UK box office top ten in full:
1. (-) Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - £8,188,209
2. (-) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - £4,325,594
3. (2) Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - £2,546,529
4. (3) Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked - £1,451,331
5. (4) Puss in Boots - £1,366,975
6. (5) New Year's Eve - £736,024
7. (1) Arthur Christmas - £302,006
8. (7) Hugo - £244,283
9. (8) Happy Feet Two - £221,804
10. (6) Don 2 - £189,669
Watch Tom Cruise discuss Mission: Impossible with Digital Spy below: