The Kate Beckinsale movie took the number one spot after making almost $3 million in ticket sales, followed by last week's number one, George Clooney's BAFTA Award-winning The Descendants.
> Linkin Park, Evanescence remixes on 'Underworld: Awakening' soundtrack
In third place sits a new entry - Xavier Samuel, Olivia Newton-John and Kris Marshall's comedy A Few Best Men - which took $1,834,283 at the Aussie box office.
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island falls down two spots from second to fourth after taking $1,773,676, closely followed by Martin Scorsese's Oscar-nominated adventure drama Hugo with $1,467,676.
Other films in the top ten include The Muppets, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Daniel Craig's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
> Kate Beckinsale: 'Underworld was a personal experiment'
The Australian box office top ten in full below (figures in Australian dollars):
1. (-) Underworld: Awakening - $2,686,580
2. (1) The Descendants - $2,377,577
3. (-) A Few Best Men - $1,834,283
4. (2) Journey 2: The Mysterious Island - $1,773,676
5. (8) Hugo - $1,467,676
6. (3) Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - $1,445,952
7. (4) The Muppets - $1,368,135
8. (6) Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - $1,304,600
9. (5) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - $1,118,240
10. (7) Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked - $809,989
Watch the Underworld: Awakening trailer below: