The supernatural horror earned £3.1 million during its three-day opening weekend, making it the highest ever bow for a Hammer film in the UK.
The Muppets, Jason Segel's big-screen revival of Jim Henson's beloved characters, enters the chart in second place with an opening haul of £2.6 million.
In third spot is the 3D re-release of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, which adds £1.5 million to the £50 million the prequel earned in 1999.
Elsewhere, sequel Journey 2: The Mysterious Island falls four places to number six ahead of George Clooney drama The Descendants.
War Horse, Jack and Jill and Man on a Ledge also dip four places as new releases dominate the top ten.
The UK box office top ten in full:
1. (-) The Woman in Black - £3,153,020
2. (-) The Muppets - £2,650,664
3. (-) Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - £1,528,156
4. (-) The Vow - £1,091,469
5. (1) Chronicle - £1,024,583
6. (2) Journey 2: The Mysterious Island - £902,857
7. (3) The Descendants - £743,017
8. (4) War Horse - £580,984
9. (5) Jack and Jill - £521,925
10. (6) Man on a Ledge - £419,979
Watch Digital Spy interview The Woman in Black's Daniel Radcliffe below: