The romantic movie, which stars Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams, took almost $3 million in ticket sales, followed by new entry Safe House with $2,719,388.
In third place is Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, originally released in 1999 but now reworked as a 3D motion picture. This is followed by last week's number one Chronicle, a Josh Trank-directed sci-fi film which tells the story of three high school friends who discover they have superpowers.
George Clooney's The Descendants, which took $785,038 in box office sales, drops down from second to fifth place in the list, closely followed by new Rachael Taylor and Josh Lawson comedy Any Questions for Ben? with $608,731 made in ticket sales.
Other films in the top ten include Australian comedy A Few Best Men and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
The Australian box office top ten in full below (figures in Australian dollars):
1. (-) The Vow - $2,805,694
2. (-) Safe House - $2,719,388
3. (-) Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (3D) - $1,588,106
4. (1) Chronicle - $1,507,358
5. (2) The Descendants - $785,038
6. (-) Any Questions for Ben? - $608,731
7. (4) A Few Best Men - $539,230
8. (3) Underworld: Awakening - $505,989
9. (6) Hugo - $445,691
10. (5) Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - $433,463
Watch Digital Spy's interview with The Vow stars Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams below: