The sci-fi action drama movie, which stars Jennifer Lawrence as heroine Katniss Everdeen, made almost $5 million in ticket sales over the weekend.
> 'The Hunger Games' poll: What did you think?
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - a comedy starring Judi Dench, Maggie Smith and Bill Nighy - remains in second place for the second week running after making $2,626,403.
Taking the third spot is new entry Dr Seuss' The Lorax, followed by the Wrath of the Titans sequel, which made $1,976,808 in ticket sales.
John Carter drops down from fourth to ninth spot in the list and is now behind new entries such as Julia Roberts's Mirror Mirror and A Dangerous Method starring Keira Knightley.
Other movies in the Australian top ten include Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt's Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, which took $108,824, and Kevin Spacey's financial thriller Margin Call.
> 'Hunger Games' Jennifer Lawrence: Fans thought I was too fat for role
> 'The Hunger Games' rights landed by ABC Family
The Australian box office top ten in full below (figures in Australian dollars):
1. (1) The Hunger Games - $4,838,114
2. (2) The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - $2,626,403
3. (-) Dr Seuss' The Lorax - $2,115,452
4. (-) Wrath of the Titans - $1,976,808
5. (3) 21 Jump Street - $1,633,438
6. (-) Mirror Mirror - $879,550
7. (-) A Dangerous Method - $240,961
8. (6) Margin Call - $159,482
9. (4) John Carter - $122,654
10. (-) Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - $108,824
Watch Jennifer Lawrence talking to Digital Spy about The Hunger Games: