Marvel Comics' ensemble superhero movie held firm at the top of the standings, grossing over AU $6 million more than its nearest rival, The Five-Year Engagement.
The Avengers opened last weekend with the eighth-highest takings in Australian box office history, and has continued its run of international box office success with record-breaking box office receipts on its first weekend in US cinemas.
The movie has now grossed over AU $30 million since it opened in Australia on April 26.
The sole climber on this week's chart is Ewan McGregor's Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, which moves up one place in spite of a 20% dip in takings. There are two new entries this week in the form of Emily Blunt and Jason Segel comedy The Five-Year Engagement and US Navy SEAL action movie Act of Valor.
The Australian box office figures for the weekend of May 3-6 in full (All takings shown in Australian dollars):
1. (1) The Avengers - $8,232,502
2. (-) The Five-Year Engagement - $1,942,104
3. (2) The Lucky One - $617,444
4. (3) The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - $505,147
5. (-) Act of Valour - $432,795
6. (4) The Hunger Games - $397,809
7. (5) American Pie: Reunion - $326,600
8. (8) Battleship - $324,044
9. (10) Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - $213,520
10. (9) Wish You Were Here - $211,596
Watch the Avengers UK press conference in full below (Contains spoilers):