In addition to her Academy Award-nominated writing on screenplays including When Harry Met Sally and Sleepless In Seattle, Ephron also published several collections of essays on lifestyle topics including food, relationships, ageing, body image and feminism.
Digital Spy collates 15 examples of Ephron at her warm, witty, subtly profound best.
1) "When I buy a new book, I always read the last page first - that way in case I die before I finish, I know how it ends. That, my friend, is a dark side." – When Harry Met Sally
2) "Summer bachelors, like summer breezes, are never as cool as they pretend to be."
3) "The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self." – You've Got Mail
4) "When your children are teenagers, it's important to have a dog so that someone in the house is happy to see you." – I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman
5) "I have for many years been puzzled by the persistence of Hugh Hefner. Why is he still here?" – 'Why Won't Playboy Die?', Newsweek
6) "I came here tonight because when you realise you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." – When Harry Met Sally
7) "Oh, how I regret not having worn a bikini for the entire year I was twenty-six. If anyone young is reading this, go, right this minute, put on a bikini, and don't take it off until you're thirty-four." — I Feel Bad About My Neck
8) "Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy."
9) "I married him against all evidence. I married him believing that marriage doesn't work, that love dies, that passion fades, and in so doing I became the kind of romantic only a cynic is truly capable of being." – Heartburn
10) "Men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way", and the following exchange – When Harry Met Sally
11) "The amount of maintenance involving hair is genuinely overwhelming. Sometimes I think that not having to worry about your hair any more is the secret upside of death." – I Feel Bad About My Neck
12) "My mother wanted us to understand that the tragedies of your life one day have the potential to be comic stories the next."
13) "You can never have too much butter – that is my belief. If I have a religion, that's it." – Promotional interview for Julie & Julia
14) "It was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together... and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home, only to no home I'd ever known. I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like... magic. – Sleepless in Seattle
15) "Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim."