Christopher Nolan's Batman finale pulls in more than £7 million to hold off competition from animated family movies The Lorax and Ice Age 4 and secure the number one spot.
The Dark Knight Rises is now the fasting-grossing film of 2012 in the UK, having crossed the £30 million mark in 10 days. Fellow superhero blockbuster Avengers Assemble took 12 days to reach the same total.
The Amazing Spider-Man and Channing Tatum's stripper movie Magic Mike round out the top five.
New releases Searching for Sugar Man and Bollywood film Carry on Jatta enter the chart at numbers seven and nine respectively.
Elsewhere, Aardman's The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists re-enters the top ten, vaulting up from number 24 to eight after its location count was upped to 162.
The UK box office top ten in full:
1. (1) The Dark Knight Rises - £7,275,558
2. (-) The Lorax - £1,853,294
3. (2) Ice Age 4: Continental Drift - £1,544,322
4. (3) The Amazing Spider-Man - £686,952
5. (4) Magic Mike - £536,749
6. (5) The Five-Year Engagement - £75,134
7. (-) Searching for Sugar Man - £68,857
8. (24) The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists - £44,389
9. (-) Carry on Jatta - £36,760
10. (8) Men in Black 3 - £34,497
Watch Digital Spy's video review of The Dark Knight Rises below: