The final instalment in Christopher Nolan's superhero trilogy passed the AU$30 million this weekend thanks to receipts of around $4.27 million.
The Dark Knight Rises, along with The Avengers and The Amazing Spider-Man, are thought to have generated over a third of total box office takings for the year in the United States.
There are two new entries on this week's chart, with Step Up 4: Miami Heat and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter debuting in third and fourth place respectively.
Maggie Gyllenhaal and Rupert Everett's Hysteria, a Victorian-era romantic comedy about the invention of the first vibrator, also re-enters the top ten this week.
The Australian box office top ten for the period July 26 to 29 (all takings shown in Australian dollars):
1. (1) The Dark Knight Rises - $4,266,575
2. (2) Magic Mike - $2,511,819
3. (-) Step Up 4: Miami Heat - $1,804,584
4. (-) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - $1,122,279
5. (3) Ted - $1,046,814
6. (4) Ice Age 4: Continental Drift - $348,047
7. (5) The Amazing Spider-Man - $238,072
8. (7) Brave - $148,464
9. (6) Snow White and the Huntsman - $130.375
10. (-) Hysteria - $125,286
Watch Digital Spy's video interview with The Dark Knight Rises director Christopher Nolan below:
Gallery - 'The Dark Knight Rises' promotional posters:
Copyright: Warner Bros.