The Christopher Nolan-directed film continues its reign at the top of the standings, grossing just shy of AU$2.75 million this week.
The Sapphires - a comedy-drama about a '60s girl group based on a play of the same name - debuts in second place. The movie - starring Chris O'Dowd, Deborah Mailman and Jessica Mauboy - took AU$2.3 million across 279 screens.
The week's only other new entry is Zach Galifianakis and Will Ferrell's political satire The Campaign, which sits in third place with receipts of just over AU$2 million.
The Australian box office top ten for the period August 9 to 12 (all takings shown in Australian dollars):
1. (1) The Dark Knight Rises - $2,742,173
2. (-) The Sapphires - $2,340,052
3. (-) The Campaign - $2,038,824
4. (2) Magic Mike - $1,425,641
5. (3) Step Up 4: Miami Heat - $1,212,120
6. (5) Ted - $600,638
7. (4) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - $539,024
8. (6) Ice Age 4: Continental Drift - $250,317
9. (8) Brave - $113,882
10. (7) The Amazing Spider-Man - $86,821
Watch Digital Spy's video interview with The Dark Knight Rises star Marion Cotillard below:
Gallery - 'The Dark Knight Rises' world premiere in pictures:
Copyright: WENN Dan Jackman