Liam Neeson's action sequel earns north of £7 million to easily secure first place ahead of the likes of Looper and horror film Sinister.
Taken 2's £7,378,048 haul is more than the entire UK box office earnings of its predecessor, which pulled in £6 million from UK cinemas in 2008.
Looper, which has spent the last fortnight at the chart summit, falls down a place to number two with £1,519,503 million.
Sinister occupies third place, while The Perks of Being a Wallflower only manages to make fourth spot despite the presence of Harry Potter star Emma Watson.
ParaNorman rounds out the top five with £797,754.
Elsewhere, the chart sees two movies climb from last week, as Brave ascends two spots to number seven and Untouchable climbs up from nine to ten.
The UK box office top ten in full:
1. (-) Taken 2 - £7,378,048
2. (1) Looper - £1,519,503
3. (-) Sinister - £1,435,722
4. (-) The Perks of Being a Wallflower - £827,983
5. (2) ParaNorman - £797,754
6. (4) The Campaign - £389,287
7. (9) Brave - £304,735
8. (3) Resident Evil: Retribution - £286,350
9. (10) Untouchable - £245,343
10. (7) Hope Springs - £190,860
Watch Digital Spy's Taken 2 interview with Liam Neeson: