Ahead of the release of the 23rd Bond film Skyfall, we take a look at the character of Bond.
1. James Bond was born in Germany to a Scottish father, Andrew Bond, and a Swiss mother, Monique Delacroix. They were killed in a mountain climbing accident in Aiguilles Rouges when he was 11 years old. Orphaned, he went to live with his aunt - Miss Charmain Bond - in a village called Pett Bottom.
2. He joined the Ministry of Defence and became a Royal Naval Reserves Commander. He then applied to M for a position within the Secret Service and rose to the rank of principal officer, well known by his code number 007.
3. Bond smokes on average 60 cigarettes a day. He has them custom-made by Morland of Grosvenor Street, mixing Balkan and Turkish tobacco with higher nicotine content than a normal cigarette. The three gold bands on the filter signify his rank in the Royal Navy.
He really should take part in the next Stoptober.
4. James Bond's tipple of choice is a dry Martini, prepared "shaken, not stirred". A drink of his own creation, the Vesper, is served in a deep champagne goblet and includes three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka and half a measure of Kina Lillet. It must be shaken until it's ice-cold and served with a large, thin slice of lemon peel.
5. When he's not gallivanting around the world with beautiful women, Bond lives in a flat off the King's Road in Chelsea. When he's away the flat is looked after by an elderly Scottish housekeeper called May.
6. James Bond has an impressive record with the ladies and currently has 52 notches on his bedpost. Around three-quarters of these women have tried to kill him.
7. James Bond has been married once to Teresa 'Tracy' di Vincenzo. Their happily-ever-after was ruined as she was killed on their wedding day when villain Ernst Stavro Blofeld murdered her to get revenge on Bond.
8. With 'the Blonde Bond' Daniel Craig currently holding the title of 007, you may be surprised by how many other actors have taken on the role.
Roger Moore (who holds the record for playing Bond seven times), Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Pierce Brosnan, Christopher Cazenove, Barry Nelson, Timothy Dalton, David Niven and... Blockbusters host Bob Holness. Holness played Bond in 1956 in a South African radio adaptation of Moonraker.
9. Famous for the finer things in life, James Bond's cars are almost as well known as he is. Probably the most memorable car Bond drives is the Aston Martin DB5.
It boasts impressive gadgets including a homing beacon on the dashboard, a tyre slasher on its rear hubcap, bulletproof windows and machine guns at the front and handy license plates which automatically rotated to conform to international regulations. It also had the ultimate gadget - an ejector seat for the passenger side if you needed to quickly get rid of unwanted company.
10. Bond has killed a whopping 352 people. Pierce Brosnan's Bond was the deadliest, killing 47 people alone in GoldenEye.
James Bond - Skyfall: photo gallery: