According to George Lucas's biographer Dale Pollock, the producer mapped out a 12-part story outline for a complete Star Wars narrative arc, with Episode 7, 8 and 9 focusing on Skywalker in his 30s and 40s.
Pollock read Lucas's outline and interviewed the Star Wars creator at length in the '80s when he was researching his book Skywalking: The Life and Films of George Lucas, according to The Wrap.
"The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9," Pollock said. "They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, 'I want to see these 3 movies.'"
Pollock added in reference to Disney's $4 billion purchase of the Star Wars saga and Lucasfilm: "Writers will absolutely take his outline. That's in part what Disney bought."
Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker in the original Star Wars movies, yesterday revealed that he was "gobsmacked" when Lucas told him of plans to continue the fantasy series.
Video - Mark Hamill discusses Star Wars with Digital Spy in 2010:
Following news of Lucasfilm's sale to Disney earlier this week, Lucas released a statement voicing his desire to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.
"I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organisation, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come."
Lucas will donate most of the money that he received from the sale of Lucasfilm to charity, a company spokesperson revealed today (November 1).
Star Wars Episode 7 will arrive in cinemas in 2015, with new movies expected to follow every two or three years after.
> 'Star Wars': George Lucas's space saga in pictures
> 'Star Wars Episode 7': Is it a good idea? - poll
Photo gallery - Star Wars rare behind the scenes pictures: