The fifth and final movie in The Twilight Saga, starring Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner, earned $141.3m on its opening weekend.
This makes it the eighth-biggest opening weekend of all time, and places it ahead of Breaking Dawn - Part 1, which earned $138.1m last year, but behind New Moon, which opened with $142.8m in 2009.
Breaking Dawn - Part 2 pushed last weekend's big hit Skyfall to the the number two spot - the James Bond film earned $41.5m, bringing its overall domestic gross to $161.3m.
Steven Spielberg's Lincoln climbed from 15 to third place upon a wider release, with $21m in tickets sold.
The animated film Wreck-It-Ralph and Denzel Washington drama Flight hold on to fourth and fifth place with $18.3m and $8.6m respectively.
Rounding out the top ten are Argo, Taken 2, Pitch Perfect, Here Comes the Boom and Cloud Atlas.
The top ten in full (studio estimates):
1. (-) Breaking Dawn - Part 2 - $141.3 million
2. (1) Skyfall - $41.5 million
3. (15) Lincoln - $15.1 million
4. (2) Wreck-It-Ralph - $6.7 million
5. (3) Flight - $4 million
6. (4) Argo - $2.55 million
7. (5) Taken 2 - $2.52 million
8. (8) Pitch Perfect - $2.50 million
9. (9) Here Comes the Boom - $2.49 million
10. (6) Cloud Atlas - $2.35 million
Watch an exclusive Breaking Dawn - Part 2 clip below: