The latest James Bond film, starring Daniel Craig, knocked The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 from pole position in its fifth week on release, grossing $11 million. The final film in the Twilight franchise fell to third place this week, earning $9.2 million.
DreamWorks animation Rise of the Guardians, featuring the voices of Hugh Jackman, Alec Baldwin and Jude Law, also jumped up a spot to number two, with $10.54 million.
The chart's sole new entry came from Gerard Butler romantic comedy Playing for Keeps, which debuted at six with a first-week domestic gross of $6 million.
Lincoln and Life of Pi remained at fourth and fifth place respectively, with Red Dawn and Flight also non-movers.
Disney's Wreck-It Ralph and Brad Pitt film Killing Them Softly complete the top ten.
The top ten in full (studio estimates):
1. (2) Skyfall - $11 million
2. (3) Rise of the Guardians - $10.54 million
3. (1) The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 - $9.2 million
4. (4) Lincoln - $9.115 million
5. (5) Life of Pi - $8.3 million
6. (-) Playing for Keeps - $6 million
7. (6) Wreck-It Ralph - $4.904 million
8. (8) Red Dawn - $4.261 million
9. (9) Flight - $3.13 million
10. (7) Killing Them Softly - $2.748 million
Watch the trailer for Skyfall below: