The latest weekend figures give Bruce Willis the number one movie in the country for the second week in a row, as last week's chart-topper A Good Day to Die Hard slips to third position.
There are a number of new entries on this week's chart. Animated adventure The Croods - featuring the voice talents of Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone and Ryan Reynolds - enters the charts in second place.
Twilight author Stephenie Meyer's new sci-fi The Host, which stars Saoirse Ronan and was adapted for the big screen by Andrew Niccol, debuts in fifth place, and Bill Murray comedy Hyde Park on Hudson enters at number seven.
The box office chart for the weekend of March 28 to 31 (all figures are in Australian dollars):
1. (-) GI Joe: Retaliation - $3,865,195
2. (-) The Croods - $3,737,198
3. (1) A Good Day to Die Hard - $2,245,578
4. (2) Oz the Great and Powerful - $1,026,285
5. (-) The Host - $829,193
6. (3) Jack the Giant Slayer - $749,984
7. (-) Hyde Park on Hudson - $376,523
8. (7) Silver Linings Playbook - $335,506
9. (6) Goddess - $151,176
10. (5) 21 and Over - $148,700
Watch GI Joe: Retaliation director John M Chu talking to Digital Spy below:
'GI Joe: Retaliation' UK premiere - photo gallery: