Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio's latest collaboration earned £3.6 million to top the chart ahead of 12 Years a Slave.
In fourth place is Disney's Frozen, which has now earned more than £35 million from UK screens after two months on releases. American Hustle rounds out the top five.
Elsewhere, new releases Inside Llewyn Davis and August: Osage County debut in the top ten at numbers six and seven respectively.
This Friday sees the release of I, Frankenstein, The Awkward Moment and Mark Wahlberg's Lone Survivor, all of which are likely to make the chart next week.
The UK box office top ten in full:
1. (1) The Wolf of Wall Street - £3,608,968
2. (2) 12 Years a Slave - £2,235,837
3. (-) Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - £1,278,187
4. (4) Frozen - £1,103,905
5. (3) American Hustle - £997,259
6. (-) Inside Llewyn Davis - £757,972
7. (-) August: Osage County - £537,310
8. (7) Last Vegas - £471,757
9. (6) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - £426,313
10. (5) Devil's Due - £375,585