Going Back, which is the musician's first studio album for eight years and his sixth number one solo release overall, rose to pole position after entering at four last week.
As a result last week's number one, Science & Faith by The Script, falls to two, one place ahead of a new entry from Manic Street Preachers entitled Postcards From A Young Man.
Maroon 5's latest effort Hands All Over also debuts highly at six, while Mumford & Sons return to the Top 10 as Sigh No More climbs two spots to nine after 51 weeks on the chart.
The new entries continue further down the chart with a total of five artists landing within the top 20, the highest of which are Seal with Seal 6 Commitment at 11, Black Country Communion's self-titled album at 13 and Santana's Guitar Heaven at 15.
The top 10 in full:
1. (4) Phil Collins: 'Going Back'
2. (1) The Script: 'Science & Faith'
3. (-) Manic Street Preachers: 'Postcards From A Young Man'
4. (5) Brandon Flowers: 'Flamingo'
5. (3) Robert Plant: 'Band Of Joy'
6. (-) Maroon 5: 'Hands All Over'
7. (2) Linkin Park: 'A Thousand Suns'
8. (7) Katy Perry: 'Teenage Dream'
9. (11) Mumford & Sons: 'Sigh No More'
10. (6) The xx: 'xx'
Source: Official Charts Company
> Click here for this week's singles chart