Police authorities believe that the young girl was burnt by the tanning booth's UV rays.
However, Rich Krentcil, the girl's father, has said that there has been a misunderstanding, and that a school teacher inaccurately heard that she "went tanning with Mommy".
Shocked mother Patricia Krentcil alleges that her daughter was instead sunburnt when she was playing outside on a hot day.
MSNBC explains: "In New Jersey, children under 14 are not allowed to tan at indoor salons, while those 14 to 17 years old may do so with signed parental consent."
Patricia Krentcil added that she had brought her daughter to the tanning salon in the past, but that the 5-year-old didn't receive a tanning treatment herself.
Speaking to a local television station, she said: "I tan, she doesn't tan. I'm in the booth, she's in the room. That's all there is to it."
The 44-year-old mother has since pleaded not guilty to second-degree child endangerment, and was released on $25,000 bail on Tuesday (May 1).
> Mum buys 8-year-old £8k cosmetic surgery voucher
> Newborn baby gives dad middle finger