'Just One Cornetto' beats 'Go Compare' to catchiest advert jingle
The melody for the famous Walls ice cream advert beat the 'Go Compare' jingle into second place in the survey from Chicken Tonight, The Daily Telegraph reports.
Music psychologist Dr Victoria Williamson said: "Music is one of the most powerful memory cues, because it is instantly attractive and easily adaptable.
"When incorporated with language, movement and images, it works to create a stronger memory trace than if a tune is heard in isolation."
She added: "Factors such as the length of a song, repetition, lyrics and dance accompaniment highlight how a simple tune can become what is termed 'sticky music', namely a form of involuntary memory.
"Tunes that are most likely to trigger sing-along behaviour are characterised by loudness and high energy, a male voice and a high register with lots of leaps - which may go some way to explaining why the Cornetto jingle struck a particularly memorable chord with the nation."
The top ten catchiest jingles were as follows:
1. 'Just one Cornetto, give it to me' (Cornetto)
2. 'Go Compare, Go Compare' (Go Compare)
3. 'P-P-P-Pick up a Penguin' (Penguin)
4. 'A Mars a day helps you work rest and play' (Mars)
5. 'I feel like Chicken Tonight' (Chicken Tonight)
6. 'Do the shake and vac and put the freshness back' (Shake n' Vac)
7. 'If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit, join our club' (Club)
8. 'We buy any car, dot com' (Webuyanycar.com)
9. 'I'm loving it' (McDonalds)
10. 'Washing machines live long with Calgon' (Calgon)