Wayne Watson argued that King Soopers supermarket should have made it clear that the butter flavouring on their microwave popcorn could be dangerous in large quantities.
According to ABC News, Watson's attorney Ken McClain said a federal jury granted the award on Wednesday (September 19) against Gilster-Mary Lee Corp., The Kroger Co. and Dillon Companies Inc.
He argued that he had developed bronchiolitis obliterans - commonly known as 'Popcorn Lung' - after inhaling the smell from the companies' popcorn, which he ate on a regular basis.
The defence said that Watson had developed the condition following his career selling carpet fluid.
Watson had previously settled a claim with the flavour developer FONA International Inc., after reports that the flavour contained the compound diacetyl, which can be hazardous to a person's health.
> Man sues supermarket over illness from eating too much popcorn
> Popcorn company 'builds voice-activated popcorn shooter Popinator'