65-year-old Denis Duthie from New Zealand suddenly went blind after drinking vodka because it reacted with his diabetes medication.
Duthie, who works as a catering tutor, had been celebrating his parent's 50th wedding anniversary by having a few vodkas from a bottle that his students had given him as a gift.
However, when he walked into a bedroom, everything just went black, reports the New Zealand Herald.
Duthie said: "I thought it had got dark and I'd missed out on a bit of time but it was only about half-past-three in the afternoon.
"I was fumbling around the bedroom for the light switch but I'd just gone completely blind."
He was then rushed to Taranaki Base Hospital, where doctors thought that he had formaldehyde poisoning.
The poisoning is to do with ingesting methanol and to treat it, ethanol must be administrated - the kind of alcohol found in alcoholic drinks.
The hospital did not have enough of this alcohol so the registrar took a trip to the local off-licence to get a bottle of whisky that they fed into Duthie's stomach from a tube.
Duthie said: "Johnnie Walker Black Label. It was good whisky, yeah. I woke up five days later and I could see as soon as I could opened my eyes."
> How to make a Labrinth inspired cocktail - video
> New alcohol poured over models' breasts before bottling