Dennis Murawska and his wife were woken early in the morning at their home in Alma Centre, Wisconsin, by their pet chicken Cluck Cluck.
A fire had started in the garage and their smoke detectors failed to work.
At 6.15am yesterday (December 27), the couple fled the house before the fire reached them.
Firefighters later saved the chicken, who had alerted its owners with loud clucking from its cage in the basement two floors below.
"The chicken gets quite vocal when she gets excited," said Murawska.
Chief fireman of Alama Centre told The AP: "We are used to hearing about a dog or cat or something, but we never heard of a chicken waking up a resident for a fire, that's pretty amazing."
Cluck Cluck came from a nearby farm and began wandering over to Murawska's house. His neighbour said he could kill it for meat because it had failed to produce eggs and had a mutated foot.
However, Murawska kept the chicken as a pet and built a coop. He and his wife even let it sleep in their basement on cold nights.
Murawska, 59, said: "I spent way more money than I ever should've. I guess it paid off."
> Chicken n' waffles syrup invented available to buy
> Turkey testicles eaten by 400 people in Thanksgiving festival
> Asda supports X Factor Jahmene with chow mein chicken jahmene