1. Julia Fiona Roberts was born on 18 October 1967 in Smyrma, Georgia, to vacuum cleaner salesman Walter and church secretary-turned-real estate agent Betty.
2. Before getting her big break, Julia worked as a model, at an ice cream counter and in a sports shop. "I'm a quick lacer. Not many people know it, so I wouldn't spread it around," she says. "I don't want people coming to me, saying 'Lace my shoes'."
3. Among the famous film roles that Julia has turned turned down are Shakespeare In Love, Sleepless In Seattle and Basic Instinct, which eventually went to Gwyneth Paltrow, Meg Ryan and Sharon Stone.
4. Julia has been named one of People magazine's '50 Most Beautiful Stars' 11 times in her career, tying with Halle Berry for the most appearances. She was also the first actress to grace the cover of Vogue and the first woman to front GQ.
5. Before marrying cameraman Danny Moder, the actress enjoyed relationships with a string of stars including Kiefer Sutherland, Liam Neeson, Matthew Perry, Benjamin Bratt and Dylan McDermott.
6. If she could act alongside any other person, who would it be? "Johnny Depp. I've known him a long time. I think he's so interesting, and I think we look alike in a funny way. Johnny Depp and I will play brother and sister in something."
7. She first realised she was famous after being approached by a fan in a public toilet. "I had gone to the loo [at the movies] and someone in the bathroom said in a very loud voice, 'Girl in stall No. 1, were you in Mystic Pizza?'" she explains.
8. Despite being a glamorous film star, Julia has a secret passion for knitting. "You know I'm like a total geek, right?" she admits. "I sit on the set and knit. It's a very social hobby, as opposed to reading at work - I can chat with people and still be fully engaged."
9. In 2004, Bulgarian archaeologists named what they claimed was the oldest skeleton to be discovered in Europe in her honour. The reason? Because the unfortunate soul had flawlessly preserved teeth!
10. She may be an Oscar-winning actress, but that doesn't mean Julia always gets the parts she wants. She was turned down by Steven Soderbergh for a part in Traffic. He explains: "It would be unimaginable to me to cast her [in a sombre] role, when her gift is her life force that really makes you want to watch."