1. Jack Black was born on August 28, 1969 in Santa Monica, California to Judith and Thomas Black. His parents were both satellite engineers, with his mother working on the famous Hubble Space Telescope.
2. Black's first taste of fame came at the age of 13, when he was cast in the advert for Atari's Activision Pitfall! game. His second ad campaign was for the slightly less cool Smurfberry Crunch cereal. "My stock plummeted at school," he joked.
3. The Kung Fu Panda star claims to have slept through two years at UCLA university. However, he wasn't a total slacker during his youth. Black joined Tim Robbins's Actors Gang, where he honed his talents and got his big break in 1992's Bob Roberts. It was also through the Actors Gang that he met his Tenacious D bandmate Kyle Gass.
4. Black has a seemingly endless list of A-list celebrity pals. He counts Will Smith, Dave Grohl, Steve Carell, Ben Stiller and Angelina Jolie among his mates.
5. Jack has admitted that he often finds himself running for the same film roles as Philip Seymour Hoffman. He jokingly described Hoffman as "my nemesis" on the School Of Rock DVD.
6. Black's singing talents are well known, but have you spotted all his music video cameos? You can catch him in Beck's 'Sexx Laws', Foo Fighters' 'Learn To Fly', 'Low', and 'The One', The Eagles of Death Metal's 'I Want You So Hard (Boy's Bad News)', Sum 41's 'Things I Want', and Weezer's 'Photograph'. Phew! That's more than some full-time musicians!
7. Black admits that he may have been a little self-indulgent during the love scenes with Gwyneth Paltrow in Farrelly brothers comedy Shallow Hal. "It was like a doctor or a carpenter plying his trade," he joked. "I received no pleasure whatsoever... I requested 32 takes for the perfection of the craft."
8. Black has also confessed that the Farrelly brothers 2001 rom-com is one of the few movies that he has regrets about. "I feel I kind of sold out a little bit when I did the movie Shallow Hal," he said. "I had an opportunity to work with some dudes I thought were really funny, but it didn't turn out as I'd hoped, I wasn't proud of it, and I got paid a lot of money, so in retrospect it feels like a sell-out."
9. We all know Jack is a huge fan of classic rock, but who does he think are the greatest band of all time? It has to be The Who, of course. "They were the first ones to ever rock HARD," he claims. "The recklessness! The deliciousness!"
10. Black's children, Samuel and Thomas, look destined to have musical genes. Not only does their father front comic rockers Tenacious D, but their mum Tanya is a respected cellist. Black's other half is the daughter of renowned jazz star Charlie Haden.