1. Avril Ramona Lavigne was born in Belleville, Ontario to dad Jean-Claude and mum Judith-Rosanne on September 27, 1984. She's got a big bro Matthew and lil' sis Michelle. Apparently mum first knew Avril was destined for stardom when she came back from church aged 2 singing 'Jesus Loves Me'. Early starter!
2. "I created punk for this day and age," Avril once reportedly claimed. "Do you see Britney walking around wearing ties and singing punk? Hell no. That's what I do. I'm like a Sid Vicious for a new generation." Questioned on her knowledge of punk history, she perfectly encapsulated the Year Zero attitude with the brilliantly carefree riposte: "People are like 'Well, she doesn't know the Sex Pistols'. Why would I know that stuff? Look how young I am. That stuff's old, right?".
3. A band she is aware of is Metallica, and she joined an unlikely lineup of Sum 41, Korn, Rob Zombie, Limp Bizkit, Lisa Marie Presley and Sean Penn to pay tribute to the metal gods for MTV's Icon show. She contributed a cover of the band's 'Fuel' from their 1997 album ReLoad.
4. Unafraid to upset the hardcore by reworking a much more classic number, Avril covered the SpongeBob SquarePants theme in 2004. "I made the song a little more edgy," she explained. "It's kind of like the rock version. There are a lot of loud guitars, and we picked the tempo up a little and sang it with a little more attitude."
5. Despite being set up by some as an antidote to the pure pop of her rivals, Lavigne distanced herself from such claims. "'I don't like that term - 'the anti-Britney'. It's stupid," she explained. "I don't believe in that. She's a human being. God, leave her alone!'. Leaving Britney Alone in 2002 showed that she was always ahead of the trends! When it was claimed that she was a less sexually explicit alternative to Ms Spears, Avril replied that it was in fact her Dirrty rival who was the real smut-merchant in the pop world. "Have you seen Christina's video? Poor girl..." Miaow!
6. Though she isn't a fan of such filth, she's okay with accidentally flaunting her own bum after her "butt-cleavage" made a list of the most funny sights at the MuchMusic Video Awards. "It was funny. I don't care," Lavigne said. "My butt-crack showing is like my trademark. I wear my pants loose, and lately I've been so busy I've lost a few pounds. My ass-crack is always showing." Ewwwwwwww!
7. Possibly inspired by Billy Idol (if she knows who he is...) Avril was adamant that she'd be having a white wedding when she married Sum 41's Deryck Whibley in 2006. "I wanted to say, 'Let's totally have a rock 'n' roll, goth wedding'", she admits. "But at the same time I thought, 'I've been dreaming about my wedding day since I was a little girl. I have to wear the white dress'. I wanted to be a princess." She ended up wearing a gown from the fabulous Miss Vera Wang.
8. Lavigne was the subject of the title character's explicit fantasies in Nick Cave's second novel The Death Of Bunny Munro. One reviewer noted that "Avril Lavigne's nether regions play a lurid supporting role throughout" and she was apparently dubbed "the Valhalla of vagina"! Cave later explained: "Avril Lavigne is perfect. She is. I couldn't have written that stuff about Madonna... I'm personally a huge Avril Lavigne fan. I've always liked what she's done and would be distressed if I felt that I caused her any upset."
9. Avril popped up in Richard Linklater's movie adaptation of Fast Food Nation, playing young activist April. "My goal is I would love to be in a movie, but being a singer, I have to do it right and it has to be done cool," she pouted. "If I did a movie where I was a singer, that to me wouldn't be that cool. I would need to play something that was challenging as a character, I would love to do something dark and moody. At the same time, I totally think I could play a Valley Girl - a ditzy, funny, over the top girl." That's all bases covered then!
10. Her second LP was called Under My Skin and Avril apparently likes a fair bit of ink there. As well as the usual assortment of hearts, stars, initials, lightning bolts and the rest, in 2010 she and Brody Jenner decided to be a little naughty and both got the word 'F**K' inked on their ribcages. In capitals!