Earlier this month, the singer was attacked by numerous assailants on the streets of Manhattan. He suffered a concussion, broken nose and black eyes, as well as cuts and bruises from the incident.
Shortly after the assault, DeGraw tweeted that he had no recollection of the attack. However, in a new interview, the singer revealed that he was confronted by three men as he was walking home alone late at night.
"I had a night off, and I met up with some friends at the bar I own with my brother. We had a few drinks. I put my friends in a cab and I walked home because I live pretty close," DeGraw told People. "I remember maybe three guys said something to me and I didn't appreciate it, and I guess I let them know I didn't appreciate it."
He continued: "They weren't exactly on the debate team, so I ended up with a tube down my throat."
DeGraw went on say that he is lucky to have survived the incident and insists that he is ready to move on.
"I'm not living in fear," he said. "It was a terrible night for me, but fortunately I got through it. I still look like my mother, and onward and upward."
DeGraw previously said that he is looking forward to getting back out on the road. The musician will rejoin Maroon 5 and Train on tour on August 24.
He has since admitted to fears that his voice may have changed due to the attack.
"It's definitely a combination of excitement and nerves, because my breathing isn't exactly the same," he explained. "I'm feeling out my breathing through my nose trying to see if the swelling's going down. The sensation is mildly different, so that makes me fearful about singing."