The teenage entertainer sought the order when she was notified that a "serious" death threat had been made against her, according to court documents seen by TMZ.
Gomez said in her testimony that she was in "extreme fear" of the subject of the order, 46-year-old Thomas Brodnicki. The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) was reportedly made aware of the threats when Brodnicki was given an evaluation by mental health professionals last month.
The AP reports that Brodnicki is required to stay at least 100 yards away from the singer under the terms of the order. A full hearing is scheduled for November 4, in which the order could be extended to last for up to three years.
The LAPD is said to be taking the threats made against Gomez "extremely seriously".
Cloud Atlas actress Halle Berry was granted a three-year restraining order in August against an alleged stalker who broke into her home, while Lindsay Lohan obtained a two-year restraining order in June against a man who reportedly made death threats against her.