The 28-year-old, who works under the name MC Ultra, was present in court as his former lover moved to extend an injunction, which she obtained hours after the leak of a sex tape in which she features last Monday.
While the judge ruled that the gagging order should be extended, Edwards said in a written statement that his ex-girlfriend had "persuaded me that we should film ourselves" and "seemed to be implying" that the footage had been filmed on her mobile phone.
The N-Dubz star has apparently decided to sue the artist, after blaming him for leaking the tape last week. The singer confirmed the footage's authenticity in a YouTube video, after a website started selling the private footage.
Desmond Browne QC, who represented Contostavlos in her absence, told the court that there was "clearly a substantial issue to be resolved".
Reports have said that Contostavlos is seeking damages of up to £100,000 for breach of privacy and confidence.
> Simon Cowell blasts Tulisa sex tape 'scumbag': 'X Factor job is safe'
Edwards, who originally said that he would have to "speak up" with his side of the story, continued to deny responsibility in court, stating that the leak was "ungentlemanly" and that he was "brought up better than that".
Following news of her legal action, a source told The Sun: "This latest move by Tulisa has really unnerved and unsettled him. It's serious stuff and he's got to take it seriously. It's a lot of pressure for him. He feels he can't talk publicly now because of this."
Days after the footage leaked, Contostavlos debuted her first solo single 'Young'.
> Tulisa Contostavlos: From N-Dubz to 'X Factor' - career so far in pictures
Watch Tulisa's YouTube statement about the leaked footage below: