The 69-year-old actor and his wife Grace Hightower had to move out of the home in Central West Park in New York City in June after a blaze caused by a lint build-up in a clothes dryer spread across the building.
Despite originally planning to renovate, they are now moving out permanently after it was deemed uninhabitable.
An eyewitness at the time of the fire - which took an hour to put out - was shocked at how tall the flames were.
The onlooker, who was driving at the time, said: "Right above my head these 12ft-tall flames exploded out of the fifth floor window."
They had lined up a $100,000-a-month apartment to rent on the 64th floor of the Park Imperial, but the deal turned bad after De Niro claimed it wasn't what he thought it was.
A source told New York Post's Page Six: "There was an issue with misrepresentation of the apartment and they managed to get out of the lease. The apartment went back on the market two days ago."
Hightower has also apparently been heard telling friends that she and her husband are looking for a five-bedroom rental which has "tons of closet space".