Boyle received the 'Beyond Theatre' award at the event in association with Burberry at the Savoy Hotel, while Dame Judi Dench was recognised for her contribution to theatre with the Moscow Art Theatre's 'Golden Seagull' award.
Other guests included Gemma Arterton, glamorous in a glitzy strapless LBD, James Corden, Bill Nighy, Sir Ian McKellen, former Strictly Come Dancing star Victoria Pendleton and Tinie Tempah.
Oscar winner Colin Firth and wife Livia, Ralph Fiennes, Helen McCrory, Jeremy Irvine, Rafe Spall and Michelle Ryan also graced the black carpet.
The list of winners are as follows:
- Best Play - Constellations by Nick Payne
- Best Director - Sir Nicholas Hytner for Timon of Athens
- Best Actor - Simon Russell Beale for Collaborators
- Natasha Richardson award for Best Actress - Hattie Morahan for A Doll's House
- Ned Sherrin award for Best Musical - Sweeney Todd
- Best Design - Soutra Gilmour for Inadmissible Evidence and Antigone
- Charles Wintour award for Most Promising Playwright - Lolita Chakrabarti for Red Velvet
- Milton Shulman award for Outstanding Newcomer - Matthew Tennyson for Making Noise Quietly
- Lebedev special award - Sir Nicholas Hytner for his dynamic directorship of the National Theatre
- Editor's award - David Hare for his contribution to theatre
- Beyond Theatre - Danny Boyle and his team for the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics
- Burberry award for Emerging Director - Simon Godwin
- Moscow Art Theatre's Golden Seagull - Dame Judi Dench