Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy
17

Showbiz News

Children's entertainer 'suicidal after Savile police interview'

By
Sir Jimmy Savile

© Rex Features

The family and friends of an unnamed children's entertainer have accused police of finding people guilty "by association" with Jimmy Savile.

On Thursday, a celebrity in his 80s - who cannot be named for legal reasons - attended a police station as part of Operation Yewtree, the inquiry into alleged sex abuse carried out by Savile and others over a number of decades.

Metropolitan Police confirmed that the man had been interviewed under caution as part of the investigation following a search of his Berkshire home. He was released without charge after five hours of questioning.

Friends told The Mirror that the performer has been left "almost suicidal" by the situation and accused the police of indiscriminately accusing people who previously worked with Savile.

A man who has known the entertainer for 50 years said: "Is everyone who ever worked with that man Savile going to be hauled in?

"He is being tainted with guilt by association. Quite frankly, I think the police should be ashamed of what they're doing. He wouldn't do anything like this.

"We've spent hours on the river together and in each other's homes, and we often confide in each other."

He added: "It is a shocking slur and I want him to know that I'm supporting him 100% because I know whatever the allegations against him are, they will turn out untrue."

This is the fifth person to be questioned as part of Operation Yewtree.

Gary Glitter, Freddie Starr, Dave Lee Travis and BBC producer Wilfred De'Ath have all been arrested on suspicion of sex offences and released on bail.

> Dave Lee Travis: 'Arrest is nothing to do with kids'
> Freddie Starr banned from seeing his children alone
> Bruce Forsyth on Jimmy Savile: "I never liked him"

You May Like

Comments

Loading...